Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Restoration of Rest

Psalm 91:1 "Whoever dwells in the in the shelter of the most High will rest in the shadow of the almighty."

Psalm 23:2 " The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul."

Being where we are in this season I have found 'rest' and 'not wanting' difficult things to comprehend. By nature I am not good at resting, I'm much better at working and getting things done by myself, or at least that's what I tell myself. Yea, good one Heather.

Yesterday we celebrated Fathers Day a day late by going out to Devils Tower and a near by reservoir to enjoy the country and make some fun memories. We had an amazing time together. It's been raining a ton here in South Dakota so everything is green and beautiful. I've never thought of South Dakota as beautiful, but everywhere I looked made me feel like I was seeing a little bit of Heaven.

In one place we drove past a field that was filled with sheep. There were sheep everywhere and there were a few that were laying down in green grass with a stream near by. It was truly beautiful and seeing it made these verses come to life for me.

The sheep looked so peaceful not at all worried or anxious or running around trying to figure out their lives. Nope, they were just resting, not wanting anything, but resting.

 Oh to be a sheep, right!? To be able to tune out all of our responsibilities and worries and fears and  just rest.

It's amazing how something so simple becomes so complicated. We fight against it like it's our job. Or if you're like me you feel completely guilty and useless if you stop for one minute.

God had to know how hard it would be for us, didn't he? He had to know that we would struggle with the concept of resting and that's why it says "He makes me lie down...". Or maybe it's more He invites me...?

God has been inviting me to rest. To stop trying to work it out, to stop trying to figure it out, to stop being fearful and filled with anxiety and to just rest!

Our culture has filled us with so many lies, a couple of my favorites are  'God meets you half way' or 'You do your part and he'll do his'. I'm sorry, but no! He comes the whole way and holds out his hand and says "Come and rest."

Today I really feel like he's not just speaking to me, but to you saying "Won't you come and rest. Won't you let me work it out? Stop trying to make it work in your own power, let me take care of it."

What is it that you're trying to work out in your own power?

It's never easy, but I know that God is so glorified when we say yes to trusting him and resting. So today I choose that.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your heart! You are truly talented and seriously the best sister! Thanks for letting God use you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good word! Have you ever read "A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23"? Amazing book.

    ReplyDelete