Sunday, July 26, 2015

Letting Go of the Old and Embracing the New

We've been back in America for 8 months now.

 Our whole family struggled through adjusting back, but I would say and I think Matt would agree; I took it the hardest.

This is pretty normal for me, I just don't adjust easily to new things.

On one hand I love new things and crave change, but when it comes to living it out, I tend to have a temper tantrum and cling to my old ideas of what is good.

So when we came back I struggled and I cried, A LOT.

Change means loss and loss is painful. Letting go is painful.

I was 9 years old when God told me I was going to China to be a missionary. For so many years I fought that and then after finally choosing to say yes to China I then had to wait for the right time. I was 24 when Matt and I moved our two small girls across the ocean; Sydney was 2 and a half and Aubrey 3 months.

I went expecting huge things, but was sorely disapointed with our less than spiritual lives. I learned how to speak Chinese, how to ride the bus and hail a cab. I took my daughter to school and picked her up. I learned how to cook and where to buy butter. Really though, my life wasn't anything special.

However, after time passed I began to see all the huge things God was doing; in me. I was growing, changing and maturing. I became more of who I was meant to be in China.

So when God started showing us that our time there was over, I felt heartbroken. It felt so unfinished. It felt like we hadn't completed our mission; whatever it may have been.

Sometimes we have to let things die if we want to see new life.

And so in these last 8 months I've struggled to let China go and make room for what is next. China left it's mark on me and whenever I think of it I'm sure it will bring sweet memories.

The thing I didn't realize back 22 years ago, when God first spoke to me, was that China was just one of the chapters, not the whole book.

And so now we are moving on to another chapter of our story. This chapter begins in Colorado Springs, where we'll continue to work with YWAM.

God has led us to this place and we go with peace and excitement knowing that our adventure continues. Only God knows what's in store, but I have come to the place where I can let go of what's behind and take hold of what's ahead.

We have three more weeks here in Rapid City and then we'll be moving. We're still not sure of where we'll be living so we would appreciate prayers for God's perfect provision.

Thanks for sharing in our adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment